GHS HAZARD COMMUNICATION STANDARD
OSHA ADOPTS NEW GLOBAL HAZARD COMMUNICATION STANDARDS
The United States Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) approved new regulations associated with hazard communication and adopted the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals(GHS). The GHS is part of an overall global program to harmonize product warnings and labeling across regions throughout the world. The advantages of adopting GHS are that product warnings will be more consistent with common identification, nomenclature, and warnings. This site is designed to provide a brief overview of the new GHS standards. We provide links to key OSHA sites where you can find out more on the specifics of the new Hazard Communication Standards and what your requirements are as an employer.
MAJOR CHANGES TO THE HAZARD COMMUNICATION STANDARD
- Hazard classification: Provides specific criteria for classification of health and physical hazards, as well as classification of mixtures.
- Labels: Chemical manufacturers and importers will be required to provide a label that includes a harmonized signal word, pictogram, and hazard statement for each hazard class and category. Precautionary statements must also be provided.
- Safety Data Sheets: Will now have a specified 16-section format.
- Information and training: Employers are required to train workers by December 1, 2013 on the new labels elements and safety data sheets format to facilitate recognition and understanding.
- Work has already begun at Zep Inc in preparation for the new GHS Standards. Look for labels and associated SDS to appear on Zep Inc labels after 2014.
- Zep cannot provide OSHA training for customers. There are, however, a number of tools customers can use on the OSHA website at https://www.osha.gov/dsg/hazcom/index.html . In addition, there are numerous third-party providers of GHS training specifically designed for small businesses that may be accessed through the web.
To find out more about the new GHS Standards click on one of the links below:10 GHS FACTS in 60 Seconds
Frequently Asked GHS Questions
GHS SIGNAGE, ARTWORK, OUTSIDE PUBLICATIONS
OSHA3493 QuickCard Hazard Communication - English
OSHA3492 QuickCard Hazard Communication Standard Labels- English
OSHA3491 QuickCard Hazard Communication Standard Pictograms - English
OSHA GHS Overview Q & A
OSHA3518 DATOS RÁPIDOS Fichas de Datos de Seguridad para la Comunicación de Peligro
OSHA3517 DATOS RÁPIDOS Etiquetas Estándar para la Comunicación de Peligro
OSHA3516 DATOS RÁPIDOS Pictograma Estándar para la Comunicación de Peligro
Under Section 102 of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) (15 U.S.C. Sec 2063(g)) some of the products distributed by Zep Inc. in the United States may require a Certificate of Compliance. This Certificate states that the product complies with certain regulations promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) and provides other required information.
At the link below a Certificate of Compliance is available for download that covers all Zep Inc. products that currently require a Certificate of Compliance under the CPSIA.
Not all Zep Inc. products are included in the Certificate of Compliance. If a product is not listed, it is not subject to an applicable CPSC regulation and a Certificate of Compliance is not required.
This website address may appear on shipping documents related to products distributed by Zep Inc. That reference does not necessarily mean that any or all of the products in that shipment are subjected to the CPSIA.
This list may change and Zep Inc. reserves the right to update this list at any time.
GENERAL CONTACT ADDRESS
Any general questions, information and correspondence regarding Zep Inc. products should be addressed to the following address. Applicable test records, if any, are also kept at this address. If your correspondence is in reference to the CPSIA Certificates of Compliance or this website, please make that point clear in all communication:
Attn: Compliance Services
3330 Cumberland Blvd. Suite 700
Atlanta, GA 30339